Schüco Anodised surface finish
Anodising is an electrochemical process, in which the anodised aluminium substrate (for example, mill-finish profiles) is immersed in an aqueous, acidity-regulated electrolyte solution. On the aluminium contact surface - electrolyte solution produces an electrochemical reaction that ultimately leads to the formation of a defined aluminium oxide barrier layer.
The DC sulphuric acid process is the most commonly used anodising process for architectural applications. During the process, the pore structure of the aluminium oxide layer formed must be closed (“sealed”). This results in a colourless, transparent oxide film, which protects the long-term appearance of the metal. As a result of mechanical preparation of the surfaces for E1 to E5 (see pretreatment), the appearance and long-term value of the aluminium surface is significantly increased and then protected in the long term by the anodising process. By including metal compounds in the pores before sealing, the normally colourless oxide layer can be coloured (light, pale, medium or dark bronze, and black). In the SANDALOR process, the use of organic pigments can extend the range of colours available to include shades of yellow, brown, red and blue.
For anodising in accordance with the EURAS/Qualanod regulation
- Not all visual impairment of the aluminium, such as streakiness, shiners and striae, is removed through chemical pretreatment (E6 process); some will remain visible after anodisation. This kind of permissible surface imperfection can be only minimised by mechanical pretreatment of the aluminium.
- The sheet metal alloy used must be of the anodising grade in accordance with DIN 17611. Other grades result in deviations in colour and surface appearance during the process. Material differences in the surface appearance of sheet metal and profiles (both of anodising grade) are unavoidable.
- New Special anodised surface finishes
- INOX Optic Classic very lightly brushed finish in the colour range between C31 and C32
- INOX Optic Plus coarse brushed finish and colour range between C0 and C31
- SANDALOR Coloured, metallic anodised surface finishes create visual highlights
Watch the video „Anodising“ here.